We are about to go to Iceland for 8/9 days and are knee-deep in planning. I thought I would throw some notes up here to help out anyone who might be dealing with the same questions/issues:
Offline Map Navigation:
- If you are going to make your own offline google map to use in your rental car / campervan, make sure you lay it out in “My Maps.”
- You can then export this map as .KML / .KMZ file.
- Email the .KMZ file to yourself.
- Download MAPS.ME app.
- Download the offline map data for the country you are going to (i.e. Iceland).
- Open the .KMZ file in your email (on your phone) and chose the option to import to MAPS.ME.
- BOOM! You are good to go.
- Check out this blog entry for more info on this (super helpful – i.e. how to download a .KML from google maps).
- To use the GPS properly, just go into your settings and turn off your cellular data (i.e. don’t turn on airplane mode).
Sweet maps people already made:
- Use these links below to download the .KML file and load into an app like MAPS.ME. Why do more work when someone has done it already!?